Thursday 10 May 2012

Artist Exposure: Photographer Benoit Paillé

So I've decided to create a feature: 'Artist Exposure' which basically 'does what it says on the tin' sharing great work by great artists. This post will highlight amazing photographer, Benoit Paillé's who's work I've been following for a year now on Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/benoitpaille/ and his work just grows from strength to strength. In particular I love his sincere portraits and creative conceptual art series. He's created strong projects such as Night, Alternative Landscapes, Light Experimentation, Stranger, Self-Portrait Stranger, Art Installation Japan and one of my favourites; Rainbow Gathering (below).

Rainbow Gathering is a series of portraits of his family. He states [1]
'I decided to photograph my family, my brothers and sisters. I have been going to rainbow gatherings for 7 years now, and I have taken pictures of it for the past 3 years. The pictures you see are very precious since photography is not usually allowed during the event, so please be respectful to my brothers and sisters

People are love,
are magic,
are beauty
these sister and brother are the people of the future.'
Being a portrait photographer myself I am instantly drawn to captivating expressions and characters and Paille captures this in the faces of Rainbow Gatherers. It is interesting as a viewer to get an insight to an event that doesn't usually allow photographs taken so the project itself is a rarity making it completely unique. We are transported into a world of 'peace, love, harmony, freedom and community'.[1] It is understandable to see why photography isn't allowed, as it can be seen as a medium of 'consumerism, capitalism and mass media' [1] however as Paille is a part of the family he isn't exploiting them, he is showing us and educating us that there are alternative lifestyles and great diversity in the world. In this series he travels to various locations for Rainbow Gatherings from Spain to Mexico and Canada which I think is amazing this project spans across the globe.

This is my favourite from the series:

Rainbow Gathering Québec,Canada 2010


(C) Benoit.P

(Above photo) I am instantly drawn to the beauty of her female form and how she seems so at peace with nature. The colours are beautiful and how he creates a serene landscape is remarkable balancing both portraiture and landscape in one composition. I like how natural she looks and how this doesn't seem posed. The fact this mysterious woman isn't looking at the camera hides her identity yet reveals everything but. This is what makes the photograph intensely intriguing. The details also make the image come alive, from the minute water droplets on her back, to the pink of her erect nipple and the reflection in the ripples adds to the beauty and serenity. This photo represents: 'peace, love, harmony, freedom.' [1]



Other favourites of mine in the series











All work (C) Benoit.P
All images from Benoit.P Flickr

References

Useful Links
Benoit Paille Behance http://www.behance.net/Benoitp

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...